Recently we made the decision to get rid of our microwave. Mainly because it has been sending out sparks regularly, and also because, apart from warming things up like milk, we no longer really have any use for it. What I mean by that is, everything that we use it for can be done on the hob. Like melting chocolate, for example.
However, it turns out you really do have to pay attention to detail when transferring these skills to the hob.
I have been trying to make another batch of chocolate slices for the wee boy to take to two of our most treasured girls as a little treat and thank-you for looking after him. This involves melting some milk chocolate which I used to do in the microwave. Give or take the odd mishap where I forgot that it needs turning in order that the pieces in the centre don’t burn, all went well.
When melting chocolate on the hob, you need to place it in a bowl which sits over a pan of simmering water. Two elements which in themselves are simple. For some reason putting them together complicates the issue. So today, whilst dashing to get everything done in the shortest amount of time, I prepared both pans for the base and chocolate melting, congratulating myself on the way at my efficiency, and set to with the base whilst allowing the chocolate to melt.
Very gradually a strange smell emerged which was familiar, and yet, new. I looked outside to see if anyone was burning wood but could see nothing. I then decided to just give the chocolate a stir whilst it was melting which is when I noticed that it was slightly burning on the bottom, rather like it used to in the microwave when I forgot about it.
However, thinking I had rescued the chocolate in time, I turned the heat down and continued with other things. But the smell intensified, until I had no option but to lift the bowl with the melting chocolate up, as it smelt as though the pan was burning.
It tuns out that I hadn’t even put any water in the pan.
Undeterred by this slight flaw of domestic goddess-ness, I whizzed up some almonds, mixed them with sultanas and put them into the melted, burnished chocolate, spread out on a bit of foil and popped into the fridge.
You know it actually tastes rather delicious.